08 December 2008

Playing Favorites...

Have you ever played favorites? I know I have. I won't say who or in what situations. ;) But I have.

Have I ever been on the receiving end of NOT being the favorite? Oh yes. I'm sure you have, too. Not pleasant, I'm sure.

Aren't you glad God doesn't? We're all his favorites.

The Book of Acts, chapter 10, recounts the events surrounding Peter’s vision of a sheet full of ceremonially unclean animals being lowered toward him followed by God’s command to eat the food.

When Peter protested, stating that he’d never tasted anything that wasn’t kosher, God encouraged him that it was okay.

While Peter sat confused as to what the vision meant, men sent by Cornelius, captain of the Italian guard, showed up and requested that Peter come with them. Cornelius had previously seen an angel who’d informed him that God had noticed Cornelius’ charitable deeds and told him that Peter would tell him what he needed to know next. (The first time I ever saw the name Cornelius, I was eight. And I thought it was pronounced "CORN-LEWIS").

“Peter fairly exploded with his good news: ‘It’s God’s own truth, nothing could be plainer: God plays no favorites! It makes no difference who you are or where you’re from – if you want God and are ready to do as he says, the door is open. The Message he sent to the children of Israel – that through Jesus Christ everything is being put together again – well, he’s doing it everywhere, among everyone.”

And then he proceeded to share the gospel with them. It was at that point, that the Good News began spreading to the Gentiles. The “outsiders” were now “in.”

So, the next time I'm tempted to keep someone on the "outside," I praying that God will remind me of this section of Scripture. What would've happened if He had played favorites?

(Sometimes when I post these, I feel a little like Run, formerly of Run-DMC, at the end of each episode of "Run's House." You know, when he's lounging in his massive gold plated bath tub typing an inspirational little note on his Blackberry. But only without the Blackberry. And the massive gold bath tub. And lucrative 80s rap career).


God is Love,
Rev Run
(Jaime)

2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Jaime, this is a great thought. Thanks.

However... I am sorry ( i think) to say I am not in the know of the Run House... However if you keep writing like this a gold bathtub could be in your future!!! :-)

Netta said...

Great thoughts... thank you!