23 December 2008

The Reason I Peek...

As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm a recovering Christmas Gift Peeker.

And while my daughter has given me much evil to delight in with her accidentally letting the cat out of the bag regarding a few of my gifts, I haven't had a full fledged peeking in over 10 years.

Yesterday, I almost relapsed.

My mother is currently in the hospital - again. She's been in for about a week now and will be missing our family Christmas festivities as a result.

The point of that little tidbit was not so that everyone can feel sorry for me, but it explains why I was allowed into my parents' home at Christmas Time unattended.

My friend and I cleaned their house yesterday while my father was at work and while my mother lies in a bed in St. John Hospital doped up on hydromorphone.

While I was there, I entered the forbidden Sewing Room where all the gifts are hidden. But because my friend was there, I decided to be an adult and not collapse into insanity and begin rifling through bags and packages like a lunatic.

Why peek?

Well, I’m afraid I won’t give the appropriate expected response upon receipt of the gift and I need time to prepare myself and create the expected response. I tend to be a non-enthusiastic gift recipient outwardly, even though I may have loved the gift. And I hurt feelings. So I have to know in advance so I can prepare for the appropriate response.

Not buyin’ it?

Neither does my husband. Aaron made me swear on our wedding vows that I would never peek at the gifts he’s gotten me. He asks me each Christmas morning if I peeked and expects me to answer honestly, on my wedding vows. And if I’ve peeked, he’ll return the gifts. So, I haven’t peeked for a decade of Christmases and it’s killing me.

So, now I have the shakes and I need a fix real bad.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

Hee hee...

But seriously, have a very Merry Christmas and be sure to set the busy-ness aside and focus on the birth of the One who came to save us from our sin, from death, from ourselves and our own messed up stuff. That little baby who grew up to be the God-man who’d die so that we might live. Celebrate the day that He was born to die so we could one day pray for Him to save our lives.

1 comment:

IssaBeth said...

This is the reason why I hate surprises. The expected response part overwhelms me and I end up getting nervous and offending people. Maybe this is why I was the ringleader in our childhood expeditions in peeking. I didn't want to dissapoint anyone with my response.