07 October 2009

Gratiot Ave. circa 1992...er...I mean 2009....

Today I took the "long way" to my dad's house- the home in which I spent the first 21 years of my life. (The "long way" means that I did not drive I-696, but rather took 12 Mile Rd. to Gratiot Ave.).

It appears that Gratiot from 12 Mile to 10 Mile is frozen in time. It never changes and is quietly comforting to me as I drive down the "drag" where a friend and I, in an effort to console my broken heart, went "cruising" one Saturday night after Aaron dumped me the first time. (Yes, I said the "first time." There were several times. We were very young and very childish and very insecure.) The evening consisted of her driving up and down Gratiot blaring Mr. Big's To Be With You on the tape deck and me crying in the passenger seat. Needless to say, we didn't meet anyone interesting that night.

I can't believe Gonzo's is still there and that apparently, he's still airbrushing sweatshirts for high schools. Ah yes. It's 1992 again...the Powder Puff Football sweatshirts, the Tennis sweatshirts and T-shirts...the list could go on and on.

And then there is the tropical fish store, Oceans and Seas, with the incorrectly placed apostrophe on a professionally made sign. How sad.

Well, I'll talk to you later...I need to go see if my Get USED jeans still fit and if I can find an aerosol can of Rave Hairspray.

1 comment:

Lois said...

Oh, you are so right!! That area from 12 - 10 Mile is so dated!! I would hate to have them update the area! It wouldn't be the same!!