23 February 2010

A History of My Fainting Episodes

I always know its coming. My ears start ringing loudly and I begin seeing stars. I break out in a very cold sweat. Its like the whole world just fades right out. And then I black out for about 30 seconds. Because it has happened so often, I generally know how much time I have to get to a less conspicuous place for it to work itself out.

The first time was when I was 13. My doctor thought I had mono. My mom took me to the clinic on 10 Mile & Hayes. During the blood draw, my mother said my face drained of all color (if that's even possible) and then I turned green. My eyes proceeded to roll back into my head and I was out. This would begin a long relationship with me and fainting.

Fall 1990: After having my wisdom teeth extracted, I was attempting to brush my teeth at the bathroom sink. I began to see stars and managed to stumble into the doorway of my bedroom where I passed out, hit my head on the wall and landed in a fetal position. My mother thought it was hilarious.

Summer 1991: Antihistamines taken for my severe summer allergies caused me to faint every time I went from a sitting to a standing position. My mom didn't think that was too funny.

Fall 1999: I passed out in the hallway on the way to the break room at work for no apparent reason. It was my first week on the job...I was humiliated. I later threw up as well. I had only been married for a couple of months and was terrified that I was pregnant. Needless to say, I was not.

Winter 2000: A high fever from the flu caused me to pass out every time I tried to stand up. Aaron was in Traverse City. I had to call my mommy to come rescue me.

Summer 2001: I fainted at my desk at work for no apparent reason. Again, humiliated.

Spring 2004: During our child birthing class while watching the instructor attempt to jam a "newborn" doll through a plastic pelvis, I fainted. I leaned my head on Aaron's shoulder and waited for it to pass. I had eaten sour cream and onion potato chips during the class break and apparently assaulted Aaron with my breath for the 30 seconds I was out.

Summer 2007: I passed out three times in the waiting room at the obstetrician's while awaiting my glucose tolerance test when pregnant with my second child. That was fun and exciting. When I told the tech was happening, her reply was, "That's why we make you stay here for the hour." Not "Come lie down." Or "Are you okay?" But, "That's why we make you stay here for the hour."


"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."
Isaiah 40:31 KJV


Apparently, I need to wait on the Lord a little more.

1 comment:

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

WOW!! Thank God that it's never happened while holding one of your babies. That is scary.