22 June 2010

Weather Channel! I TRUSTED you!

Kayla's last day of school was Thursday, June 17. I really want to minimize the tears, drama, arguing, tantrums, yelling and screaming this summer - I'll leave it up to you to attribute each of the aforementioned emotional outbursts to its appropriate Hlavin female.

So far, so good - but doing so is exhausting! If I had my druthers (what a stupid word!), and didn't have kids, I'd spend all summer sleeping or laying in the sun in my backyard (then my lovely shade of "zombie" just might make it up a notch to "undead").

But that's obviously not the case. And besides, if I didn't have kids, I'd go out a get a job that pays in cold hard cash instead of hugs, kisses, poop and pee.

(Wow...I just found a great new spot for my coffee while I type...it doesn't get in the way of the keyboard! Awesome!)

Okay, back to what I wanted to talk about.

To keep my children from going "Lord of the Flies" on each other and me, I planned out every second of the first two weeks of vacation.

Thursday:
11:49 a.m. Pick Kayla up from last day of school and take girls to McDonald's
1:00 p.m. Put Karis down for a nap and then make a birthday card with Kayla for the party she would attend later that night.
3:00 p.m. Play outside for a while.
5:00 p.m. Drop Kayla off at Birthday/dinner out with Karis and Aaron.
7:30 p.m. Pick up Kayla
8:00 p.m. Baths and bedtime
8:30 p.m. West Wing-a-thon (Aaron and I are watching The West Wing this summer)

***

Friday:
9:30 a.m. Hillcrest missions trip meeting with the gal who will be heading up the VBS portion of the trip; our children participated in all kinds of revelry during said meeting.

12:00 p.m. Lunch
1:00 p.m. Put Karis down for a nap and make Father's Day cards with Kayla
4:00 p.m. Immerse my children in carnival culture at the Warren Lions Fair; Dinner at CiCi's Pizza; trip to Sam's Club

8:30 p.m. Baths and bedtime
9:00 p.m. West Wing-a-thon

***
Saturday & Sunday:
Were kind of a blur due to graduation parties and Father's Day festivities.

***

Monday:
8-10 a.m. "Monday Morning Routine" (don't ask, but if I die and you're the one going through my stuff afterward, you'll find all the details of the "Morning Routines" for each day of the week spelled out in a journal with a picture of a Sasquatch on it (courtesy of my good friend Karrie) sitting on the baker's rack in my kitchen)

10:30 a.m. Water Park with the girls

12:30 p.m. Return from park in order to loan Pierce a set of golf clubs...he and Pastor Don forever have the image of me descending from my "Starfleet Academy" sticker-emblazoned mini van donned in "water park attire" seared into their cerebral cortexes.

1:00 p.m. Put Karis down for a nap and then weed the backyard with Kayla-she got freaked out by the spiders so I made her do a summer workbook page (this is currently a strong point of contention in our home. My husband thinks I'm a taskmaster. All I have to say is that he graduated with something like a 0.0000001 GPA, so who should be the one taking responsibility for the academics in our home? I thought so.)

3-8 p.m. A myriad of activities including walking to the park, playing on the playground, dinner, popsicles in the backyard, baths, bedtime, Aaron returning home just in time to help with bedtime (he had "presbyter stuff" to do at the District Office).

***

When I made all of these plans, I carefully consulted the weather channel. According to the weather channel, today was supposed to be cruddy. Well, I took a look outside during "Morning Routine" and the sun was shining in a crystal blue sky.

I already made my indoor plans! I am paralyzed with inflexibility and indecision! Plans don't get "unmade" in my world! Exclamation points are everywhere!!

So I guess I'll hide in the basement for the rest of the day while my children go Lord of the Flies on each other.

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

Can I say that
a) You're a hilarious writer. I always enjoy reading your posts
and
b) that I am dying to know what your "Monday Morning Routine" is.

In your "Lord of the Flies" saga I just hope neither Karis nor Kayla is "Piggy." That would be tragic.