04 February 2011

Was it worth it?

Kayla vehemently avoids anything that may even hint at the idea that there may be pain involved.

While I'm hoping that this trait will carry into her teenage years and thus result in a body free of piercings, it's proving to be quite the challenge in the "baby-tooth-losing-phase-of-life."

About 2 months ago, we "suffered the loss" of the first tooth. That was quite an ordeal. I think the expression on her face says it all:


Under "normal" circumstances (i.e. children who are excited to lose teeth and get cash for it), those pearly white little teeth start dropping like flies after the first one comes out. Not in our house. Since the loss of that first one back in early December, she has been, shall we say, "reluctant" to allow the further extraction of any more teeth.

Currently, she has approximately 4-5 loose baby teeth (it's hard to say, since she won't let me check). My dad keeps telling me to "just let them fall out on their own." I just can't. The discolored, little snaggle-tooth dangling by a small piece of flesh drives me crazy. So I keep telling her that they are all going to fall out at once and she'll look like a toothless old man. That didn't work.

The front bottom one was so loose that she was talking weird, and biting into things that she'd normally use her front teeth for, with her molars. After an entire dinner of not understanding a word she was saying, watching that little tooth flap in the wind as she was speaking the unintelligible gibberish, and watching food fall out of her mouth as she performed the weirdest feats in an effort to bite into things, I couldn't stand it any longer.

Last night, we extracted baby tooth #2 after the most unbelievable display of...I don't even know how to describe it. Believe it or not, I am completely at a loss for words. And unfortunately, I'm really stubborn. So when the kids dig their heels in, so do I. It's something I'm working on, but last night was a moment of weakness in the area of my personal growth.

The following is a list of various things that transpired on her end during the Great Extraction:
1. Wailing
2. Flailing
3. Guttural moaning
4. Clamping jaw shut
5. Jerking head away
6. Sobbing
7. Grabbing my wrists

From me:
1. Hysterical laughter of disbelief at what I was witnessing (I got in a LOT of trouble from Aaron and Kayla for laughing - Kayla was devastated that I would "laugh at her"...and Aaron was less than happy that I was devastating her)
2. The use of my entire body to restrain her

Once I had a clear shot at it, it was only a matter of barely flicking it to get it out. That's how loose it was.

And then it was over. The drama ended as quickly as it had begun.

And she was happy. And delightful. And skipping around the house in a great mood.

As I sit here writing this, I go back to title of this post: Was it worth it?

I don't know. But she was all smiles this morning when she pulled the dollar out from under her pillow and rewarded me with a huge hug and kiss. "Thank you, Mommy," she said in her most charming voice.

2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

How are Brianna and Kayla sisters?? I can so relate girlfriend. We can swap stories and battle tactics. And FYI. It does not get better as they get older. They only get physically stronger. Then the dads have to take command.

Work in progress said...

I love your stories about the girls. I would not be able to resist pulling a dangling tooth either. I am impressed you held out as long as you did. :)