14 November 2011

Brown paper packages tied up with strings...

It's that time of the season again. The easy listening/adult contemporary radio stations are playing all of the most annoying Holiday tunes in a constant loop (ahem...The Hippopotamus Song.) The mass commercialization of one of the most sacred times of year has begun in all the megastores. And I'm writing my annual blog post of My Favorite Things of 2011!

This year I'm very excited because this post coincides with a really cool event that Engage Women's Ministry is hosting on November 19. We're calling it My Favorite Things. It's a night of coffee, dessert and a terrific gift exchange. We're encouraging any woman who participates in the gift exchange to bring a present that "she would love to receive" - a duplicate copy of one her favorite things!

Alright. Here we go:


This year, I cultivated a relationship with a Bath & Body Works scent called Twilight Woods. The marketing geniuses of B&BW claim that "apricot nectar, mimosa petals and Tuscan cypress combine to create this hypnotic fragrance inspired by a romantic walk in enchanted woods." I don't know about all of that, but it sure smells good - so much so that I really wish your iPhone had a scratch 'n sniff app right now. And as I've mentioned to my sister-in-law, I'm pretty sure that this is what Edward Cullen smells like (I'm kidding...don't get all hysterical on me, now).



I may be a little late to the party on this one, but I was given a Keurig coffee maker as a gift this year! I've always been enthralled with the concept of these machines. My first introduction into the world of Keurig happened in 2001 when I was employed with a company called AutoWeb Communications, Inc. (which has since changed its name). I'm pretty sure I heard an angelic choir as I entered the break room for the first time and laid eyes on the technological miracle of "one-cup brewing." And the K-Cup options where more than I could've ever imagined. I would stand at the cupboard in the break room for endless minutes and read descriptions on the boxes of K-Cups ("...this coffee is a bright and aromatically nutty blend of sweet and savory...") and silently wish that I could be employed as a "K-Cup Coffee Description Writer." Ever since, I have privately longed for a Keurig of my own. And in 2011, that dream came true. My favorite K-Cup is Gloria Jean's Hazelnut.

In August of 2011, I was violently hurled into my mid-thirties. And now more than ever, I truly appreciate a good under eye concealer. Thank you Garnier for this little miracle. 'Nuff said.




Last Christmas I was given a Jilbere flat iron embedded with Swarovski crystals. I had for years been using cheap flat irons - and it showed. In 2011, my hair has been so straight and smooth that strangers are astonished when they hear that my oldest daughter's curly locks were my donation to the gene pool. I don't think the Swarovski crystals have much to do with that, but they sure do look cool. To add to frizzlessness of my newly straightened mane, I occasionally use this stuff on it, too. Apparently, jojoba infused follicles are a plus when it comes to straight hair.


This year I jumped on the Greek-Yogurt-Bandwagon. Or more realistically, I should say that I was guiltriddenly dragged kicking and screaming onto the Greek-Yogurt-Bandwagon. After much gag-reflex-inducing trial and error, I discover Chobani. It doesn't taste like bile and is, in fact, quite pleasant. Even the Plain - which I add a little honey and granola to for good measure. I know that wasn't much of a glowing endorsement. Oh well. But it really is one of my favorite things now!


I spent nearly $6 on this - which is way more than I like to spend on nail color. But it was actually worth it. The effect was great (if time and care is taken to apply correctly) and my kids love it!

And there you have it! At least this year I didn't include precooked bacon.

Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas! And I hope to see you at the "My Favorite Things" Engage Holiday Event this coming Saturday!!!!

No comments: