23 August 2012

I'm REALLY not good at coming up with a title for this post...

We’re all good at something. Often we’re really good at talking about what we’re NOT good at. For example, apparently in this post, I’m really good at ending sentences with prepositions. Ugh.

Here’s a list of things at which I am not good (There. No preposition):

1.  Singing or Music (Although, my alone-in-the-car-belting-it-out-at-the-top-of-my-lungs version of Poison’s Every Rose Has Its Thorn is epic)

2.  Extroversion (You people exhaust me. I love ya to death. But I’ll need a really long nap afterward if you expect me to hang out with you again.)

3.  Sports or anything requiring even a modicum of coordination (I have bruises on parts of my body that I didn’t even know existed. For those of you confused by the syntax of that last sentence, allow me to break it down for you: I know the bruises exist. I just didn’t know that those particular parts of my body existed.

4.  Seeing beyond the details (This is probably one of my biggest faults. I’m so detail-oriented that I often become paralyzed to move forward without finalizing agonizing minutia. This is why I’m awesome at #2 on my next list).

5.  Dancing (See #3. But in my head, I have choreographed a really sweet dance number to Carly Rae Jepsen's Call Me Maybe that puts all the YouTube versions to shame I’d appreciate absolutely NO input on this item whatsoever.)

Here’s a list of things at which I am good:

1.  Creative writing (But only when it doesn’t require that I reword a phrase where it is virtually impossible to NOT end with a preposition)

2.  Making binders (See picture. But don’t mock me. I believe my mansion in heaven will be stocked with more binding machines, three-hole punches, zipper pouches, page protectors and index dividers than I could ever fathom. And when I run low, the Archangel himself will deliver more supplies.)


Yes, those are little mustache disguises I edited onto the photo of the calendar. Why? Because you don't need to know what's going on every day in my life. :)



And that’s it. See? My list of Not Good Ats is nearly twice as long as my list of Good Ats.

As a parent, I am making a concerted effort to cultivate the areas in which my children are strongly gifted so that someday, they can confidently – without feeling sheepish or braggadocious – list their strengths at length.

Kayla is a tremendous budding artist:

 We’ve enrolled her in an extracurricular art class.

Karis is a future soccer superstar:


We’ve signed her up for soccer clinics and will be signing her up for league.

Hooray for diverse talents and gifts!

No comments: