03 October 2012

The Struggle.

As a Christian, I strive daily to wrap my mind, heart, actions and emotions around around walking in grace but at the same time striving for a higher standard without becoming entangled in legalism.

Romans 6:14-15 says "For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace. What then? Shall we sin because we are  not under the law but under grace? By no means!" 

Tenth Avenue North released an album called "The Struggle" and it deals with the aspects surrounding this issue that as Christians we encounter almost daily. I love this line from the title song:

"I hold on to the chains you broke when you came and saved my soul."

Ugh.  Why do I do that? Over the years I have continued to repeatedly picked up the thought patterns, attitudes and actions that I know he freed me from! 

And then He reminds me, "Hey. My grace is sufficient. You don't need to think like that anymore. Remember?"

I think Tenth Avenue North sums it up perfectly in the chorus of The Struggle:


"We are free to struggle. 
We're not struggling to be free. 
Your blood bought and makes us children. 
Children drop your chains and sing."

No comments: