Cream cheese frosting:
- · 8 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- · 1 stick of butter 2 tsp vanilla
- · 1 lb powdered sugar.
· Combine the cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Slowly add powdered sugar.
Red Velvet Cake
- · 2 cups all purpose flour
- · 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- · 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- · 1 teaspoon of salt
- · 2 Tablespoon of unsweetened, cocoa powder
- · 2 cups sugar
- · 1 cup vegetable oil
- · 2 eggs
- · 1 cup buttermilk
- · 2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- · 1-2 oz. red food coloring
- · 1 teaspoon of white distilled vinegar
- · ½ cup of prepared plain hot coffee (don’t skip this ingredient)
Preheat oven to 325.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the sugar and vegetable oil.
Mix in the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and red food coloring until combined.
Stir in the coffee and white vinegar.
Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients a little at time, mixing after each addition, just until combined.
Generously grease and flour two round cake pans with crisco and flour.
Pour the batter evenly into each pan.
Bake in the middle rack for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not over bake as cake will continue to cook as it cools.
Let cool on a cooling rack until the pan are warm to the touch.
Slide a knife or offset spatula around the inside of the pans to loosen the cake from the pan.
Remove the cakes from the pan and let them cool.
Frost the cake with cream cheese frosting when the cakes have cooled completely.