09 February 2013

2...4...6...8...The general public is just so GREAT!

Friday nights are "out-to-eat" nights in our house. It was my turn to choose. I chose Don Pablo's.

Also, I work outside the home on Fridays, so I leave the house before 7 a.m. and don't have the luxury of seeing what my daughters' clothing and hair looks like for the day. (This has been a real point of personal growth for me. The control freak has had to loosen her grip slightly. But only ever so slightly since I sent my husband a text yesterday that read, "If you're going to let the girls play outside only let them go in the back yard because I like for the snow to look pretty in the front - with no footprints.")

**Also, for those of you wondering what kind of sweet gig my husband works in order to have Fridays off, he's a pastor. He works on Sundays and usually portions of Saturday so Friday is his "day off." We have very firm boundaries in place to safeguard our family time since the nature of his work rarely conforms to the normal 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. work day. But don't get me started.  :) **

And I've digressed, yet again.

Anyway, the second paragraph is important because, quite honestly, yesterday I felt like the girls looked like homeless cheerleaders. But in an effort to not be a control freak and to save them hundreds of dollars on future therapy about how their mother would never let them pick out their own clothes or do their own hair for the duration of their childhood and teenage years, I let it go. And out to dinner Aaron and I went with our two homeless cheerleaders.

We enjoyed a typical Hlavin meal: Loud and full of unsolicited conversations with strangers (one topic of conversation with a stranger involved Aaron talking about how therapeutic it would be to make tortillas for one 8 hour shift.)

Apparently one of my 5 year old's loud and adorably lispy conversations caught the attention of one particular stranger. 

Suddenly, an unfamiliar man's voice was speaking directly over my shoulder and into my ear so closely that I could feel his breath on my face - and the look on my husband's face was one of amusement and fear (for the man's life, of course, for so grossly violating my standards of personal space).

"I'm assuming these two girls are your daughters...." The Voice began quietly.

I turned toward The Voice which was coming from The Face of a 60ish year old gentleman. And it was literally only 5 inches from my own. Startled, I immediately put a few more inches between us, to which he immediately made up the difference and continued, "They are BEAUTIFUL."

"Oh. Well. Thank you very much." I think I was cheerful.

And he walked away. 

Aaron and I met shocked and amused glances as the man walked away.

My oldest said, "What was that all about?"

Aaron's reply was golden, "Do you girls realize how beautiful you are? So, much so that strange men whisper it into your mother's ear at uncomfortably close range."

"...even when you look like homeless cheerleaders," my brain said to itself. 

Typical night out.

2 comments:

Netta said...

I ALWAYS enjoy your posts! Thanks for sharing glimpes of your life with all of us!

And in regards to your "homeless cheerleaders"....
When my girls were young but insisted on selecting their own clothes I'd lay out 2 or 3 options for them... that matched. Then they'd choose one. They were happy cuz they "got to choose" and I was happy cuz it matched.

Now that the only little kids in our house are the boys, I just lay out their clothes at night on two little chairs in their room. They get up in the morning and get themselves dressed... and never really say a word about what's on the chair! ha! Easy!

Love you all!

Netta said...

I ALWAYS enjoy your posts! Thanks for sharing glimpes of your life with all of us!

And in regards to your "homeless cheerleaders"....
When my girls were young but insisted on selecting their own clothes I'd lay out 2 or 3 options for them... that matched. Then they'd choose one. They were happy cuz they "got to choose" and I was happy cuz it matched.

Now that the only little kids in our house are the boys, I just lay out their clothes at night on two little chairs in their room. They get up in the morning and get themselves dressed... and never really say a word about what's on the chair! ha! Easy!

Love you all!