27 March 2013

Weird Confession Wednesday: Diggin' the Didg

In 1996, I developed an affinity toward the sound of the didgeridoo after first hearing one played in a song by pop folksinger, Dar Williams.

The didgeridoo is instrument created by the indigenous Australian peoples. For a quick glimpse at the sound and technique, check this out:



But I didn't know that at the time. I just thought it sounded really cool.

Since those were the days before you could find anything you ever imagined on the internet, I was determined to learn more about this instrument. So, I casually mentioned this to a woman I worked with. (Kay was a former hippie who knew a little bit about everything...she had been so many places and done so many things that I figured she'd know at least something about the didgeridoo).

Incidentally, she happened to have a CD, by a band called Dr. Didg, in her car. Who knew?

I borrowed the CD and loved the didgeridoo even more.

The following summer, at The Renaissance Festival, I encountered a vendor selling didgeridoos. The vendor allowed me to try my hand at the instrument.

Needless to say, I was not as good as the guy in the video above.

1 comment:

Christina Johnson said...

so randomly unexpected...I can just picture you rocking out in your car to this. LOL