22 April 2013

She's happy, free, confused and lonely at the same time...

It is my experience that each phase of parenthood brings a specific "sacrifice." I use the word "sacrifice" for lack of a better word - I find that "sacrifice" smacks of martyrdom.

Selflessness. There's a better word.

When they were babies, that little piece of selflessness was sleep. But that comes back...for a while at least. I can sleep in on Saturdays again because my kids sleep through the night (for the most part) and are old enough to not destroy the house from the hours of 7 a.m. to 9 a.m.! Glorious! From what I understand that goes away when they are teenagers and stay out past our bedtimes.

As toddlers, that piece of selflessness is being able to have nice stuff around your house. I really took for granted setting a lit candle on a coffee table.

And so on and so forth. I'm sure you could add countless items to this list.

I am the mother of two daughters ages 5 and nearly 9 (in a little under 2 months). My current stage of selflessness involves music. I was recently informed by my eldest that Mumford & Sons' "Winter Winds" needs to come out of rotation because the lyrics upset her:

We'll be washed and buried one day my girl
And the time we were given will be left for the world
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay...

I, personally, am moved by that verse, but I can see how it can be slightly unnerving for an almost 9 year old. So, Aaron created a "driving mix" for the ladies.

Now, each day Taylor Swift belts out her bubblegum from the speakers of my minivan (as if the word "minivan" in this sentence wasn't uncool enough) on the way to school. 

However, I must admit, that some excellent and blogworthy conversations have come as a result of such.

This morning, while waiting in the drive thru at Tim Horton's, Ms. Swift informed us that:

It feels like a perfect night
To dress up like hipsters...

To which Karis declared, "I love this song. It reminds me of Grammy and Papa."

Happy to be distracted by conversation so that I didn't run screaming into oncoming traffic due to the fact that this was the third time I had heard this song already this morning ("Play it again, Mom!"), I said,

"Why is that, baby?"

"Well, because Grammy and Papa used to be hipsters."

"Hippies, Karis. Grammy and Papa used to be hippies."

"Oh yeah. Dat's right."

Thank you, to my children, for making every second of selflessness more than worth it. 

Happy Monday...

No comments: