01 November 2014

No longer the mom of "littles"...

Dear Karis,

Today at 9:00 a.m., you turned seven.

Seven.

There's something about that age. Five and six still seemed so little. But "SEVEN." That feels like a "big kid" number.

So, today, my life as a mom of young children has ended. I have big kids.

And can I tell you how much I love this?! I am so much less physically exhausted. Granted, the sass and argument logic has intensified and I tend to be a bit more emotionally drained. But the glory of older elementary school aged children is unsurpassed.

Anyway, I just want to let you know that I think you are one of the most spectacular people I have ever had the pleasure of loving. You are so much like your dad that it's unreal. You love people and feel life more deeply than the average person. That's what I love the most about you and your father.

There's not a moment of the day from which you're not squeezing every bit of life. From playing Legos in your room while listening to music (belting those tunes out with your whole heart  - you sing and dance like no one's watching) to giving it your all on the baseball diamond, soccer field and at running club (you play so hard that you've already hyperextended your knee twice).

I know I say this all the time, but you are one of the two funniest people I know (the other one being your dad). Half the time you know it and the other half you have no clue. And that makes it even more hilarious.

And I have to admit, that I was really nervous about first grade. I thought you were going to struggle mightily. Because, like your dad, you're "people and relationship smart," but school and sitting still to read and do work has always been difficult. But I must say, that I super-impressed with how hard you're rockin' it this year in Ms. Rossi's class. It delights me to no end when you sit down and read a book to me because I know how hard you worked for that.

Boo Boo (sorry, I know you're seven now, but I will always call you that), I am so proud of the young lady you are becoming and am so happy to able to say that you're my daughter. Not a day goes by that I don't want to gather you onto my lap and inhale deeply the smell of your hair just like I've done every day since you were born.

Happy Birthday! I love you more than you'll ever know.

Love,
Mommy






No comments: